Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge August 9, 2017

Thanks to Joyce at From This Side of the Pond for today's questions.  Hop on over to her blog to see her answers and those of other bloggers.


From this Side of the Pond
1. Do you try to set rules for yourself about how you use your time? Explain.
I make sure I spend as much time as I can enjoying myself.  Seriously.  Life is short and a whole bunch of unimportant stuff (dusting, decluttering, washing windows) can always wait.  M-F I spend with Charlie- the 3-yr old grandson, weekends I do whatever.  Retirement is grand.

2. Monday was National Lighthouse Day. Have you ever visited a lighthouse? If not, do you have any desire to see one up close? 

I have visited Split Rock Lighthouse in Duluth, Minnesota:























I am sure I have visited others in Michigan, but cannot remember which ones.  Of the 10 Most Beautiful that made this list which would you most like to see in person-
Lindau Lighthouse (Germany), Fanad Lighthouse (Ireland), Portland Head Light (Maine), Yaquina Bay Light (Oregon) The St. Augustine Light (Florida), Peggy's Point Lighthouse (Canada), Start Point Lighthouse (England), Tower of Hercules (Spain), Bass Harbor Head Station (Maine), and White Shoal Light (Michigan).
I have visited Peggy's Point or Peggy's Cove on Nova Scotia.  I have a knack for traveling into hurricanes so I just happened to be there the afternoon before Hurricane Ophelia hit Nova Scotia.  Here is the only shot I got before my umbrella blew inside out.
When you've been away, what's your 'lighthouse' telling you you're on the right road home?
Traffic tie-ups.  Sad, but true, they even have construction on roads designated for the detour route.  It's crazy.

3. What have you unintentionally stopped doing? Is this something you need to pick back up and begin again, or is it something you need to let go of for now (or even permanently)?
I've stopped volunteering.  No more committee meetings.  No more tasks to complete.  I do not miss it and will not ever start up again.  I even put my volunteer service award away in a box.  Grandson, gardening, reading, family...those are my priorities now.

4. We've had a full week of August. Share a GRAND moment from your month so far.
This first week has been hell on wheels.  Problems with ComCast, the trash company, a water line that was cut by some workmen at the house this spring, misspelled documents from my financial advisor and trust documents with the wrong names from the attorney... I'd blog about it but it is too taxing.  And when I really need to chill, my yoga teacher went on vacation!!!  Maybe I will have a GRAND moment this week.

5. Tell us one song you love with the word 'baby' in the title.
Have no idea why, but the very first song I thought of was "Walking my Baby Back Home".  I used to have a collection of Johnnie Ray songs on 78 rpm.  Like an idiot I likely threw them away years ago.  I always said I should have been born years earlier cause I love music from the 1940's and 50's.
6.  Insert your own random thought here.
Where does the time go?  It's not just an opening line to a Barry Manilow song.  How did it get to be August already?  My garden flowers are ready to be cut back for fall.  And the years go by so fast.  Charlie goes into the pantry and comes out with food the he wants to eat.  My little boy is already growing up. Which means I am getting older too.  Enjoy the song:



9 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your photos of the lighthouses. Your experience of visiting one just prior to a hurricane was a little too scary!! But it makes for a great story!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great story and interesting pictures of the sky.

      Delete
  2. Life is indeed short,and Retirement period is the Last Chance we have, to deal with our own needs, manage a dialogue with our body and soul. So,what is required is minimum house/garden work; minimum or no volunteering; minimum fiction reading/TV watching, and everything else which interferes with our listening to our body's language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listening to our body is the most important listening we should do.

      Delete
  3. I haven't volunteered in quite some time and have been thinking about getting back into it...just not sure which direction to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I volunteered from the time I was in college until four years ago (age 67). I figure I did my share.

      Delete
  4. Great answers and what a great picture of that lighthouse at Peggy's Cove. I have never seen one. We do have a lighthouse right near us that we could not walk to this spring due to the flooding. Life is too short so i do plan to enjoy as much as I can

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still in complete summer mode here, and not ready to think about fall just yet. I enjoy volunteer roles still, but cannot commit to anything on a regular basis. I have to stick with projects that have a start/end date since we're on the go so much. Happy retirement to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only lighthouse I ever visited was Cape Hatteras in NC. I climbed two floors and that was enough. I never liked Johnny Ray. At our ages, enjoying life is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.